Things to do before the joyous marriage (Nikah) ceremony
A) For performance of an Islamic marriage:
- Pick up from MCC or download the “Marriage Service Application” form from below:
- Obtain the Marriage License from the county where the marriage ceremony is to be performed. (This may be different than the county where bride or bridegroom lives).
- Return to MCC the “Marriage Service Application” completely filled out. Also bring a copy of the legal Marriage License (information below) to the MCC office, or send it by mail to 4380 N. Elston Chicago, IL 60641, or by fax at (773)725-1616.
Original Marriage License will need to be brought to the marriage ceremony for the marriage performer to fill out and sign. MCC will then submit the marriage license to the County office which issued the marriage license for the Marriage Certificate.
Please bring the appropriate payment ($200 or $400) which can be paid prior to the marriage ceremony date or on the date of the marriage.
B) When a civil marriage has been performed by a judge and you need to perform an Islamic marriage:
- Pick up the form “Marriage Service Application” from MCC or download the form from above.
- Fax or mail or bring in person the copies of the marriage decree issued by a judge and marriage certificate issued by the County where such a judgment was entered.
- Give in person the “Marriage Service Application” completely filled out to MCC, or by mail to 4380 N. Elston Chicago, IL 60641, or by fax (773)725-1616.
- Please bring the appropriate payment ($200 or $400) which can be paid prior to the marriage ceremony date or on the date of the marriage.
FEE: $200 If the marriage is to be performed at MCC facility or $400 if performed outside MCC.
NOTE: If a marriage is performed in MCC, the marriage ceremony can be performed in the prayer hall or in the meeting room. For use of facility for food etc., there will be an additional charge.
Picture identification of bride, bridegroom, witnesses, and vali/guardian (if any) will be required to be presented at the time of Nikah ceremony. These may include:
- Driver’s License
- State Identification Card
- A VALID Department of Public Aid Card (the I.D. AND the Medical Card)
- United States Resident Alien Card
- If legal guardian is giving consent, a certified copy of the Guardianship papers MUST be shown
To perform an Islamic marriage through MCC, you must either have a legal marriage license or a legal marriage certificate.
Your MCC Islamic marriage certificate will be ready at the MCC office two weeks after the marriage ceremony. Please call and ask if the Islamic marriage certificate is ready prior to coming to the MCC office to pick up the Islamic marriage certificate.
If you have any questions, please call MCC at (773) 725-9047
HOW TO OBTAIN A LEGAL MARRIAGE LICENSE
The Cook County marriage license is valid for performance of Nikah after twenty four hours (the day following when it is issued) till sixty days from date of issue. Nikah (marriage) can only be performed by an MCC Imam during the time the Marriage License is valid.
Before getting married in Chicago or suburban Cook County, couples must obtain a marriage license from the Cook County Clerk’s office.
Please read the contents of the following link on how to obtain a marriage license and subsequently a marriage certificate, from the Cook County Clerk’s office:
For more information about Cook County Clerk’s office location and timings, please visit their website or call: (312) 603-7790.
Congratulations on the happy occasion! We pray that may your marital life be filled with many wonderful memories whilst observing your pristine Islamic beliefs. Aameen.